Kansas City Truck Accident Attorney
Truck Accidents in Kansas City
According to the Federal Department of Transportation (FDOT), there are over 11 million semi-trucks registered to operate in the United States. At any given time of the day or night, there are at least three million of these large commercial vehicles on the road.
With so many large trucks operating on the highways, it is easy to understand why there are so many trucking accidents. In 2017, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reported 107,000 injury crashes involving large trucks, 4,657 of which resulted in death.
Trucking accidents are very different than those involving two passenger vehicles. A semi-truck can be up to 72 feet long and weigh up to 80,000 pounds when the trailer is at capacity. Compared to the average passenger vehicle being 15 feet in length and 6,000 pounds, you can understand why the accidents are often devastating for the smaller vehicle.
In addition to causing life-changing injuries during the accident, trucking accidents are complicated matters legally. Both federal and state laws regulate the trucking industry, and because of the nature of the business, it may involve several insurance companies. Trucking accidents may also have more than one responsible party.
Because of these many complications, we highly encourage the victims of trucking accidents to seek legal assistance. Kansas City truck accident attorney Kevin A. Jones is here to help. Contact Kevin today for a free and confidential consultation.
Common Injuries Associated With Trucking Accidents
Trucking accidents often result in life-altering injuries. Many of the passengers of the smaller vehicles will suffer multiple injuries during the event. Some of the most common injuries that occur in these accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Head and Facial Injuries
- Neck and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Multiple Lacerations
- Compound Fractures
- Internal Organ Damage
- Internal Bleeding
- Loss of Limb or Disfigurement
- Burn Injuries
- Wrongful Death
Other injuries and multiple injuries are not uncommon in these events.
Many of these injuries will require extensive medical care for the injured party to make a recovery. Sadly, some of these injuries may require life-long care. To ensure that all of your medical costs are covered, it is important to seek legal representation from a Kansas City truck accident lawyer.
Federal Regulations, Multiple Insurers, and Establishing Fault
Trucking accidents are complex events because there are multiple issues that must be addressed when determining fault. The trucking industry is regulated on both the federal and state level. Determining which of these laws has been violated is just one step in determining responsibility for the accident.
Some of the areas that your Kansas City truck accident lawyer will have to review will include:
- Log Entries. Truck drivers are required to keep a log of all the time that they are operating the vehicle as well as all of the time they are off duty. Federal regulations limit the amount of time a driver can operate a semi-truck in a 24-hour period as well as in a seven day period. Violations of these laws could result in drivers being overtired while operating the vehicle.
- Maintenance Records. There are many regulations regarding the maintenance of 18-wheelers. Failure to follow these guidelines could cause parts of the truck to fail, which leads to an accident. If this is the case, the owner of the truck may be the responsible party.
- Loading Records. If the load was placed in the truck improperly, this could cause the truck to lose control when turning or stopping. If this is the case, the company responsible for loading the truck may be held accountable for the accident.
- Training and Safety. All truck drivers require a special license to operate these large vehicles. It is the responsibility of the trucking company to make sure that they have the proper driving and safety training to operate these vehicles on the road.
- Breathalyzer and Medical Tests. It is common for the driver of the commercial vehicle to be tested for alcohol consumption at the scene of the accident. Further testing may have also occurred to determine if the driver was under the influence of any drugs.
Your truck accident attorney will also evaluate many other aspects of the accident, including road conditions, the weather at the time of the accident, and eyewitness accounts of the event to help establish the responsibility for the accident.
Once responsibility has been established, your attorney will know which insurer will cover the event. In some cases, there may be more than one insurer based on the facts of the case. If this is the issue, your attorney will seek compensation from each insurer based on the percentage of their responsibility.
Common Causes for a Kansas City Truck Accident
Accidents, by nature, can happen at any time and for any reason. However, it has been our experience that there are some more common causes of trucking accidents. Knowing what these common causes are can help you stay safe and avoid these situations while on the road.
- Right Turns. One of the most common causes of a truck accident in Kansas City is when the truck is turning right. Semi-trucks need extra room to make a right-hand turn. If you come up beside the truck when they are turning, there is a good chance that the driver will not see you, and an accident occurs.
- Distracted Driving. Truck drivers that are paying attention to things other than the road is the second leading cause of trucking accidents. It is illegal for truckers to use handheld devices for any reason while operating a vehicle.
- Driving While Under the Influence. Drugs and alcohol consumption while driving is illegal. However, some prescription and over-the-counter medications may make you drowsy while operating a vehicle as well.
- Backdraft Riding. It is a dangerous practice to ride close to the back of a semi-truck so that you can catch their backdraft. Many people do this because they believe it reduces their own gas consumption by being “pulled” by the truck. This is dangerous and can lead to accidents if the truck needs to use their breaks.
- Mechanical Failure. Trucks and trailers that have not been properly maintained are a leading cause of trucking accidents. This is why there are federal regulations in place on maintenance schedules for these vehicles.
There are several other issues that can cause a trucking accident. If you are involved in a semi-truck accident, your attorney will review all information about the case to establish how and why the accident occurred.
Contact a Truck Accident Attorney in Kansas City Today
Trucking accidents are always serious events that change the lives of all parties involved. These accidents often lead to life-changing injuries that require extensive medical care and cause financial harm. Sadly, these accidents are also complex legal issues which lead to more stress for the injured party.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a Kansas City trucking accident, you are encouraged to speak with a truck accident attorney about your case. Having an accident attorney manage your case will give you the peace of mind you need during this trying time. An attorney can manage all of the legal work and interactions with the insurance companies while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
The Law Office of Kevin A. Jones is a contingency-based firm. This means that you will never have an upfront fee for our legal services. We understand that this accident has already caused you financial harm. We are here to help, not cause additional financial burdens.
Protect your rights as a victim of a trucking accident by speaking with a truck accident attorney today. All your questions will be answered during your free consultation. There is no reason to delay, schedule an appointment today.
Motor vehicle collisions often result in injuries that alter our abilities to work and enjoy life. A Kansas City car accident lawyer can help you get the resources you need to recover and get your life back on track.
Commercial vehicles dominate the roadways. Unfortunately, motor carriers often put speed and profits over safety. The consequences can be catastrophic. If you were hurt, call a truck accident attorney in Kansas City to discuss your legal remedies.
Motorcyclists have every right to be on the road as other motorists. But all too often, they are seriously injured because others won’t share the road. Kevin A. Jones is an accident lawyer in Kansas City who holds road hogs accountable for their reckless driving.
The brain is the control center for the entire body. Brain injuries can cause life-altering physical and mental changes. If you had a head injury, click here to learn more about how a Kansas City personal injury attorney can help.
Human life is precious. But unfortunately, it is all too often cut short by the careless and reckless behavior of others. We are a wrongful death law firm in Kansas City, and we give closure to grieving families by holding wrongdoers accountable.
Businesses and property owners have a duty to keep their properties safe for their customers and visitors. If you were wrongfully injured on someone else’s property, call a personal injury attorney in Kansas City to discuss your rights.
Why Choose Us
Kevin offers a free, no-obligation consultation to any person facing a legal problem. During your call, Kevin will review your situation, answer your questions, and inform you of your legal rights.
In his first decade of experience, Kevin has tried and argued more cases in court than most attorneys have in their entire careers.
When you hire Kevin, you get Kevin. Not a paralegal, case manager, or a lawyer fresh out of law school. Kevin limits the number of cases he takes so he can give his clients the attention they deserve.
No Recovery = No Fee
Kevin takes cases on a “contingency” basis, meaning you only pay for his legal services if he succeeds in obtaining a verdict or settlement for you.
Book a free consultation!
Kevin A. Jones offers a free, no-obligation consultation to any person facing a legal problem. During your call, Kevin will review your situation, answer your questions, and inform you of your legal rights.